In many parts of the world, including Singapore, Singapore curtains are among the favourite tool that interior designers use to enhance the appearance of a room. This is because when employed properly, they have the power to transform an average room into something extravagant.
1. They can change the size of your room
Whether you have a living room that is a bit on the tiny side, or one that can sometimes feel too spacious for intimate gatherings, curtains have the ability to trick the eye so a room can appear larger or smaller than it actually is.
To make a little space look bigger and taller, you should:
- Hang curtains high and wide. In a room without trim, try around 15 cm above the window, or 10 cm with trim included.
- Have the curtain track extended out further than the windows. This will let you open the drapes completely, letting in more light and creating the illusion of more space.
- Avoid horizontal stripes and large patterns in small rooms. These make a room appear more crowded.
For large-scale living rooms, the opposite applies:
- Feel free to experiment with colour, patterns, and materials. Go big, go bold with custom curtains!
- Layering your window coverings would be fantastic to add depth to any room and to bring your personal style to life.
2. They let you adjust the incoming light
Curtains and blinds will let you control how much, or how little natural light that enters your home. Light is a critical element of design, so you will make a great impact by choosing the right curtains for your home. Create the right ambiance for your living space by adjusting exactly when and where you want the light to shine.
- If the sun streams directly into your window, you may wish to have sheers all year-round to block out some of the glare, while still letting natural light through.
- Depending on the size of your living room, you can have blackout curtains to shut the light out completely.
- Consider layering a sunscreen roller blind with a curtain to get the best of both worlds — privacy and light control.
If balancing privacy and light proves to be tricky with ready-made curtains, custom-made curtains will definitely do the trick.
3. They compliment design features
Curtains have the ability to accentuate design features in your home, like ceramic tiles or vaulted ceilings. This is where the colour, pattern and fabric of your curtains matter the most.
- Much like a painting or photo in a picture frame, curtains will provide a border around a view that you would like to highlight.
- If you have curved windows or other design features in unusual shapes, a soft and malleable material will let you drape the curtains correctly around the window.
- If you have an ocean view, it is probably a good idea to have natural fabric in a plain, neutral hue, to match with the exterior environment.
Don’t forget about the curtain tracks too! You want to get the right style to emphasize the feature. Alternatively, you may want them hidden away from view so they won’t become a distraction.
4. They complete the room ambiance
Curtains have the ability to establish a particular mood or feeling in any room you desire. Whether you are creating a quiet space for reflection or an energising place to entertain guests, curtains can definitely improve the quality of life in any home, if you know where to find the right one.
Where to Find the Right Curtains in Singapore?
In Singapore, there are dozens of styles available at The Curtain Expert. Ask for a free quotation and we will be happy to provide you with brochures outlining our product ranges. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect curtains to transform your room.